The Panerai British Classic Week 2011, saw a wide range of weather conditions which tested the skippers and crews of the 71 vintage and classic yachts. After gales on the opening day of the regatta had sadly put off the much anticipated round the island race, competitors then faced challenging 20 knot plus breezes on the second day, as well as contrastingly light winds and rain on many other days. Despite the vagaries of the weather however, the spirit of friendly competition and warm camaraderie which has always typified this annual event was very much in evidence again this year.
The competitive action on the water was equally matched by the pace of the activities ashore. In their second year of association of the regatta, event sponsor Panerai once again contributed greatly to the overall atmosphere of the event, laying on a brand new, luxurious and expansive hospitality area for the owners and their crews to enjoy pre and post race refreshments.
This year, the grace of the regatta's wonderful fleet of classic yachts were juxtaposed with the style and magnificence of 60 classic cars taking part in the Historic Endurance Rallying Organisation (HERO) Summer Trial. Additionally, on the same day, Rob Thompson and Eileen Skinner announced the launch of their new charity, The Gipsy Moth Trust.
Class 1 - R A Rankin's 1985 12 Metre Italia
Class 2 - John Lister's 1937 12 Metre Wings
Class 3 - Sir Michael Briggs' 1904 Mikado
Class 4 - David Myatt's 1948 Marguerite
Stiff Drink Award
- Race Committee's Philip Gage for the fright he got when Harold Cudmore swung the bow of 'Crusader' past him missing him by 25mm.Crunchie Awards
- The crew of Crusader for hitting the Cardinal Buoy and the crew of Thelma VI for running aground in Osborne Bay.Lightening Boat Award
- Bob Gatehouse of Erida who couldn't find his oilskins and they appeared when he hoisted his spinnaker and were picked up by the boat behind.Shaken Not Stirred Award
- Cruising division's David Spensley-Cornfield of Ceilidh Mhor and Sally Kellman of Croix Des Gardes for going above and beyond the call of duty by swimming between the boats with a supply of wine in Osborne Bay. Wight Vodka Best Dressed Crew Award
- Mirella - Yvon NicholasLallow Cup for best presented new entrant
- Thalia - David AisherOverall Regatta Winner
- Mikado - Michael BriggsFull details on the 2011 Paerai Classic Week in Cowes can be found here.