Entries for Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week 2013 were launched the day after the 2012 event ended so that those feeling euphoric at the end of a great week of racing had the opportunity to secure their place for the 2013 regatta straight away!
To celebrate entries received before the end of last year and to provide an added incentive for competitors to do some early planning, a fantastic prize draw was launched at the same time.
All eligible entries received before the end of 2012 were entered into a prize draw, and one lucky winner had the chance to win:
- A rebate of their entry fee;
- A contribution of up to £1,000 towards their berthing fees, courtesy of the four main mooring providers of East Cowes Marina, Shepards Wharf Marina, Cowes Harbour Moorings and Cowes Yacht Haven;
- A £75 bar tab at Shepards Wharf Marina, £100 bar tab at Cowes Yacht Haven and £150 bar tab at the Spinnaker bar on Cowes Parade;
- A complimentary meal for the winner and crew during the event at The Anchor;
- A magnum of Champagne Lanson;
- Sperry Top-Sider performance shoes for the full crew;
- ‘five of the best’ products from Liz Earle Naturally Active Skincare;
- two x 70cl 10 year old bottles of Talisker and 12 rocking glasses;
- A 25L Gill dry bag for the full crew; and
- An Icom handheld radio (IC-M23 Handheld).
The winner was announced at the Tullett Prebon London Boat Show at a drinks reception hosted by Cowes Week Limited and the event’s clothing partner, Gill, on Saturday, 12 January. Entrants eager to hear whether they were the lucky one were in attendance, but it was the crew of Etchells China White who ended up bagging the amazing prize draw this time around with their entry which was submitted within five days of the end of the 2012 regatta.
Nick Stagg, owner of China White, has been racing for over 20 years and, for the last three years, has raced within the Etchells fleet, having decided to buy the boat after enjoying a great week of racing with the Etchells at Cowes Week in 2010. Commenting on his prize draw win, Nick said: “Cowes Week is one of the key events for the Etchells fleet; the size of the regatta and diversity of fleets sets it apart from the other events we race at and there is a brilliant mix of racing and social scene. I’m extremely surprised and pleased to have won the prize draw and I’m now looking forward to August all the more!”
The early bird entry fee applies until Monday, 27 May 2013 at midnight, after which time the standard entry fee will apply. Discounts on berthing with East Cowes Marina and Shepards Wharf Marina are also available until the end of May, while discounts on Red Funnel vehicle crossings and some accommodation options for the period of the event also apply until the end of April. The 2013 regatta dates are 3-10 August.
Photo: China White competing at Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week 2012. Credit Getty Images.
If you have news you wish to submit please send it to email@example.com