Pilot Boarding Arrangements Compliance
04 January 2022
Notice is hereby given that vessels bound for Cowes and requiring a Pilot shall ensure that their Pilot Boarding Arrangements are compliant with international safety standards.
There has been a noticeable increase in the number of vessels with Pilot Boarding Arrangements that do not meet the requirements as set out in SOLAS Chapter V Regulation 23 and IMO Resolution A.1045(27).
Defective and non-compliant arrangements will be reported by pilots and shared with the MAIB, the local MCA office and the United Kingdom Pilotage Association. Furthermore, any vessel found to have non-compliant boarding arrangements will be denied entry and will be instructed to rectify any non-conformities. It should be noted there where there is a lengthy delay caused by non-compliance additional charges maybe incurred.
When rigging Pilot Boarding Arrangements, the following shall be borne in mind:
• All ladders must be constructed and rigged as per SOLAS regulations
• Stanchions must be in place and free from obstructions
• Pilot ladder rope to be in good repair and checked on a regular basis for wear and tear
• Steps to be in good condition and repair, neither painted nor varnished
• Pilot ladders must not be secured using deck tongues
• Pilot ladders must not be secured from the deckhead
• Pilot ladders must not be secured from, or over, handrails
• Chocks or winnets should not be loose, slack or damaged
• If a retrieval line is considered necessary to ensure the safe rigging of a pilot ladder, it must be rigged in accordance with IMO Resolution A.1045(27) 2.1.5
To ensure that the Pilot Boarding Arrangement is compliant, the rigging of the pilot ladder must be checked prior to use. The pilot embarkation point must be free of obstructions and adequately lit. In addition, the embarkation and disembarkation of the pilot must be supervised by a responsible officer.
Example of a non-compliant Pilot Boarding Arrangement
Further information regarding the importance of safe Pilot Boarding Arrangements can be found at www.ics-shipping.org
This local notice to mariners will remain in force until further notice.